General Stores: E. G. Crispin & Duncan (1900-1928), S. C. Brumfields; (G. E. Little had a jewelry store inside the Brumfield General Store)
Garages: Kinney & Grosscup Auto Co. (Dodge Cars)
Groceries: I. A. Kenyon
Physicians: George T. McMahon; Dr. Alfred Price
Blacksmith: A. D. Holroyd; D. B. Luke
Hardware & Implements, Coal & Grain: J. H. Carter
Banks: Waukee Savings Bank – H. M. & James Whinery & A. A. Leachy; Brenton Bank, S. R. Foft, Cashier
Furniture & Undertaker: Clarence Wooley; Luther & Son
Flouring Mill: Clark Smith
Hotel: Spence Smith; J. M. Nuzum, Homer Harris; B. F. Jones
Harness Shop & Shoe Repair: S. M. Doty; John Shaw
Barber Shops: Riley Hoeye; Clarence Huston
Drayman: Charles Carl; Harry Henderson
Lumber Yards: Brenton Bros. Lumber Co – Fred S. Whiting, Mgr.
Candy Shop: Mrs. Tina A. Procise
Elevators: Wright & McWhinery – (Walter Ulery, Mgr.) Farmers Elevator Co.
Nurseries: Central Nurseries, John Wragg & Sons
Drug Stores: R. K. Thompson; B. F. Jones; R. E. Morrill
Skating Rink: Harold H. Sansbury
Newspapers: Waukee Advocate, (Theo Troup, publisher); C. Durant Jones – Waukee Ledger, McManus & McManus – The Waukee Bee
Meat Markets: Levi Staver; James Garlock; Theodore Myers; George Huston & F. Slater; Marshall Shearer; F. Schrader & Son
Restaurants: L. F. Staver
Millinery Shop: Mrs. Laura Kent
Carpenters: Jake Harvey
Car Dealers: W. P .Kent; Harold H. Sansbury; Nichell Auto Co. (Essex & Hudson Cars) W. P. Kent sold the Marathon car. Harold Sansbury sold Paiges, Fords and Saxons. He sold 6 Saxons in one week. (The Saxon was a little run-about-car.)
Listed below are some items obtained from newspapers printed in the early 1900’s:
* Fry Copeland exchanged his grocery store for a farm near town and went out of business. Mr. E. G. Crispin took possession of the store, and Mr. Freet Snow was to work for Mr. Crispin.
* On Jan. 23, 1901, Mr. Staver had his new meat market filled with choice meats, then in April, he disposed of this stock of meat and purchased the restaurant from Clarence Wooley.
* On August 7, 1901 Spence Smith’s new hotel had then reached 3 stories and was soon to be completed. (This is the present building on the southeast side of the triangle.)
* In 1901, the Central Nurseries built a commodious store room on their lots near the Milwaukee Depot, and they were to move their fixtures there where they would have the best shipping facilities in Iowa.
* On Sept. 11, 1901, the newspaper, the Waukee Advocate changed hands. Theo. Troup was the new publisher, and the plant was moved to the former restaurant building, which Mr. Troop purchased.
* On Sept. 25, 1901, the office of the Central Nurseries of Wragg & Sons moved from the farm 2 miles southeast of Waukee to the commodious suite of rooms in the Brumfield Block, where all the business was to be conducted.
* In the fall of 1901, Clark Smith moved his feed mill to the last half of the block on Laural Street.
* On Oct. 9, 1901, Mr. J. H. Carter finished construction of a fine implement shed attached to the east side of his store room.
* In Feb. 1903, the Hawkeye Telephone Co. had a force of men installing farm lines south of Waukee.
* On Jan. 27, 1904, the businessmen of Waukee met together to make an earnest effort to secure some kind of manufacturers. The feeling of the group was that Waukee has the best railroad facilities of any town in the county and could offer inducements to people to come and settle.
This item was taken from the Waukee Ledger of 1909. The Farmers Elevator Co. rented the elevator previously run by Jesse Copeland and they will manage both elevators now.
(Note by writer: As you see, the Waukee newspaper apparently changed its name from the Advocate to the Ledger.)
* In 1909, there seemed to be some controversy between some of the Waukee ladies and some of the men in the town. Apparently a group of ladies offered to donate some street lights to the town, but were rejected by the city fathers. The south side merchants came to the rescue and took one and located it on the corner in front of the Bank of Waukee.
* On April 14, 1909, the Farmers Elevator was hard at work on a large new elevator which would have a storage capacity of over 20,000 bushels at a cost of around $5,000.
* On April 10, 1912, the Waukee Furniture Co. had a closing out sale for 2 weeks. The manager, Mr. Rollin Luther planned to go to Adel into business with his father.
* On April 17, 1912, the new members of the Waukee Auto & Garage Co. were W. F. Kent, Pres. & Gen. Mgr., A. E. Curtis, Shop Foreman and C. S. Oswalt, Salesman. The Marathon Car was featured.
* On May 8, 1912, the Anderson Bros. sold their restaurant property to Mrs. Clarence Huston for $825.00.
* The Hotel building was vacated by Mr. Huston and was to be occupied by J. M. Nuzman, who was to start a hotel.
* May 1912, the Waukee Auto & Garage Co. was being rushed with repair work. They sold 2 new Marathons in one week to customers near Dallas Center.
* Feb. 1915, Harold H. Sansbury had his skating rink ready for use, also a new player piano was installed. (This is the red tile block building, home of the Jaycees in 1969). Mr. Sansbury built it around 1915.
* Sept. 16, B. F. Jones had purchased the drug store and post office building from Dr. C. W. Burt.
* Walter Ulery had charge of the Wright and McWhinery elevator, taking the place of Lester Smith who had charge from several years.
* On Dec. 9, 1915, A. D. Holroyd was starting to build a new blacksmith shop on the old Strowbridge property.
* J. M. Nuzum, owner of the hotel in Waukee moved to Des Moines.
* Oct 1918, the building occupied by the Plaza Theatre was being converted into a garage.
* Sept. 1919, farms were selling at boom prices of $250 to $325 an acre.
The following squibs were taken from a newspaper of 1916 and 1917.
* Jones Brothers filled their new ice house last week as seven carloads of ice shipped from Des Moines.
* Mr. R. E. Morrill purchased the building in which his Drug Store is located on the west side of the triangle. He will deliver ice to his patrons this summer.
* Brenton Bros. Lumber Co. is building a new house of cement.
* The Central Nursery Company’s force of nine traveling salesmen was in town looking over the stock and making plans for the coming season.
* The Farmers Elevator Co. sold a carload of potatoes at $1.81 per bushel.
* There was a fire at the R. E. Morrill Drug Store, no damage except a hole in the roof.
* Picture shows were to start again under the management of the Brotherhood.
* The farmers were anxious to sell corn.
* A new coal house was built at the Wright & McWhinery Elevator and an addition to the office was under way.
* On Jan. 17, 1923, the Waukee Shipping Assoc. banquet was held at the school house and had a large crowd.
* On Jan. 30, 1924, the Waukee Shipping Assoc. held their annual banquet and election of officers, at the school house. There were about 100 present and the Ladies of the Christian Aid served the banquet and made $17.00.
* In 1925 E. G. Crispin & Son were remodeling their store and were expected to start a self-serve store.
In the Waukee Ledger of Friday, April 12, 1907, owned by MacManus & MacManus, published every Friday in Waukee, costing it subscribers $1.00 a year. There were some interesting news items, for sale notices, ads, etc. The caption at the top of the paper reads, “This paper is published in the interests of the town its name bears, and no other. Please paste this in your bonnet.”