The Shuler Mine opened in Waukee in 1921 and employed close to 500 men. The mine shaft went down about 387 feet, serviced by an elevator. There was a separate shaft to provide fresh air to mine workers. Discarded stone and shale were moved to a pile on the surface.
The area of the mine, taken from a blueprint in 1947, stretched approximately 1.25 miles wide and 3.75 miles long. The outline of the mine is overlaid on a present-day map and reaches south of Douglas Parkway to north of Waterford Road.